Winter Driving Tips
Drivers should adjust their commute for expected snowy conditions
(Ottawa) – With snow in the forecast, motorists and pedestrians should be prepared to adjust their driving to less ideal road conditions.
Keep yourself and other commuters safe:
* Avoid unnecessary travel
* Allow yourself extra time to get to your destination
* Make sure you can see and that you can be seen by other road users
* Dress appropriately for the weather
* Clear your vehicle of all snow before driving
* Slow down. Posted speed limits reflect ideal conditions, not wet or snowy conditions.
* Keep a safe distance between you and the vehicle in front of you. On slippery road surfaces, double the two-second rule.
* Ensure you vehicle is well maintained and winter ready. In particular, that your windshield washer fluid is full and wipers are functioning.
For more winter driving safety tips, go to ottawapolice.ca.
– 30 –
Media Relations Section
Tel: 613-236-1222, ext. 5366