Insurance is one way of managing the risks related to accidents and disasters that can and do happen. If you aren’t adequately insured, then it could leave you or your organization in financial ruin. When you buy insurance, you transfer the cost of a potential loss to the insurance company in exchange for a fee, known as the premium.
Why do I need Liability Insurance?
If you are hosting an event at the Tanglewood Park Community Centre then the City of Ottawa strongly encourages that your event be insured, and in some cases requires you to maintain liability coverage. Because of your operations, or actions, you are open for possible suit from Third Parties. You may not be liable, but you will need to be defended in court. A liability policy pays for this defence as well as any costs found against you. Liability insurance insures the legal liability for bodily injury or damage to property of others resulting from your INSURED activity. Note: A sub-contractor, vendor or exhibitor IS NOT covered under your City of Ottawa Facility User Group Liability policy.
For Alcoholic Functions there are two Options for Insurance:
- Purchase City of Ottawa Insurance for which you will be charged an Insurance Premium and invoiced separately; we will submit the requisite paperwork with payment directly to the City; or
- Add the City of Ottawa and the Tanglewood Park Community Centre as Named Insured to an existing Insurance Policy.
For Non-Alcoholic Functions there is a third Insurance Option:
- Sign a Waiver stating that the Permit Holder assumes full responsibility for any/all Damages and/or Claims.
City of Ottawa Insurance…
The Insurance Premium is dependent on :
- Nature of the event and its activities (passive/low risk, moderate risk, physical/high risk)
- Expected number of attendees
- Event Frequency (One-off or recurring Event)
- Does the Event include Alcohol
The Insurance Premium charged for non-recurring bookings ranges from $ 2.16 thru $ 135.00
- The Insurance Premium for children’s birthday party, unlimited attendees, is $ 2.16 per hour.
- The Insurance Premium for low risk meetings & workshops, up to one full day, with 1 to 250 attendees is $ 2.70.
- The Insurance Premium for non alcohol, private event, 26-100 attendees is $ 54.00.
- The Insurance Premium for a 1 day event with alcohol, 26-100 attendees is $ 135.00.
There is a $ 500.00 Deductible on each claim.
If a category or frequency is not listed above please email [email protected]
Refundable Warranty Deposits…
In addition the Tanglewood Park Community Centre collects Refundable Warranty Deposits that cover costs not reimbursed under the Insurance Policy (ie: Additional Cleaning Costs, Lost Keys, Fines for any Violation of the Rental Terms and Conditions, Lost or Damaged Equipment, Damage to the Facility).
The Bottom Line…
If something is damaged or disappears as a result of your event then the Permit Holder or their Insurance Company is expected to pay the full cost of repairs or replacement.
If someone is injured as a result of your event then the Permit Holder or their Insurance Company is expected to pay the full cost of any claims and/or Lawsuits.